Thursday, December 22, 2005

Day 10: Good Things Take Time

Wish 10: Appropriate Procrastination

Around the hills of Grinzing, the wine-growing district of Vienna, pine branches hang above the doorways of the wine houses or Heurigen to signal that the home-made wine is ready to be served.

All kinds of drinks are available to the guests. The current year's wine itself is already good, but the aged wine has better aroma and body. Wine-growers take pride in their aged wine. Compliment the proprietor and he'd quote something profound like, "Good things take time."

If you stay longer in Vienna, you might start hearing the same phrase in different aspects of Austrian life. If the latest underground train line is delayed, the builders announce they are just fine tuning, followed by the profound: "good things take time." Legislation is delayed, and a minister assures the public that the government is just exercising due diligence. And, oh yes, "good things take time."

Sounds like an excuse for procrastination to me.

I'd like to confess that I am a procrastinator. No, this should not be taken against me. It should be looked at like the repentant Christian ("I am a sinner."). Or the slogan of the number 2 car rental company, "We try harder." To recognize that I am a procrastinator is to always strive not to procrastinate. [However, use this reasoning in an interview, and you're either candid or dead meat.]

I challenge anyone to say they have never procrastinated. We all do it, some less than others.

In things that matter, procrastination is not good. Delaying a tax return and you're sweating over your calculator at an hour before deadline. You study all night before an exam and the buzz of coffee with tiredness will take its toll.

But procrastination is not always bad. Even in things that matter. Take for example those new parents who bring their infants to experts who can help them have an edge over the other babies. Or those little girls strutting around like showgirls in pageants. What's the hurry?

When I have an argument with someone I love, I'm so tempted to end the argument right there and then - and to have the last word. That's when procrastination helps. A little time away, and heads are cooler.

My son can start taking driving lessons, but he's not interested yet. That's okay. I'd rather have an 18-year old driver than a 16-year old driver. At the later age, teens are more responsible about driving. Two years procrastination tremendously lowers my son's chances of getting into a fatal accident.

So, I wish that I recognize when to practice appropriate procrastination. Looks like there are situations when good things do take time.

Uh, oh. Talk about procrastination. As I write this, my youngest daughter just handed me her letter to Santa Claus.

No comments: