Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Day 1: A Quiet Worldwide Celebration

Wish 1: Inclusion

The following scenarios are not for the squeamish. First, imagine you are surfing TV stations, and you get to a channel that shows images of sick children in Africa. Do you stop to watch, or quickly change the channel? Imagine you are driving your car. And as you stop at a traffic light, you are approached by a scruffy man who is carrying a squeegee and spray bottle. Do you let him wash your windshied or tell him to go away? Imagine walking a shopping street after getting cash from an Automated Teller Machine, and a smelly fellow asks you if you have some spare change. Will you oblige or ignore the panhandler?

You know what I would do? My gut feel is to do the wrong thing. I would keep surfing my TV channels. I would tell the squeegee guy to buzz off. I would ignore the panhandler. I am not going to defend my actions. But, I have a good feeling a lot of people will react this way anyway.

The reason I think that we would react this way is the manner by which the charity is requested. In all the above scenarios, you have to react quickly to an emotional appeal. Actually, we really want to give to these charities. But we have limited resources, and we choose to give to charities that are reputable. Planned charity is better thought out than spontaneous. That's why I'd give to a charity that sent me the right information, and I'd reject a telemarketer.

Now, let's add something to those scenarios: What if your neighbor told you she just started giving to a charity for sick children in Africa? What if you saw another driver invite the squeegee guy to clean his windshield and then give him a quarter? What if you saw a pedestrian give the panhandler a whole dollar? What would you feel?

I believe your first feeling is relief. You really wanted to give, but your first reaction was rejection. You are relieved that someone gave, because you've put yourself in a position not to. And I think your second feeling is guilt. "Why didn't I give when I had a chance?"

If you felt relief and guilt, I believe you are not a bad person - even if you didn't give. You really have a good heart, but you don't want to be coerced. If you go through any of these scenarios with some discomfort (as opposed to feeling oblivious), you are charitable, and you are concerned for others.

Change gears. Now consider persons with disabilities. A blind man with a cane walking on the same sidewalk towards you. A wheelchair user trying to get a door open. Two deaf women who are conversing using their hands. Should you have the same discomfort?

The last thing you should feel towards them is charitable. Why? Because, unless they're begging, they just want to live normal lives - like you and me. They want to be included in society. And something happened today that will promote that.

Today, December 13, 2006, the United Nations General Assembly approved a new convention on the rights of persons with disabilities. In a few years, it will become a treaty, adding these rights to all the human rights instruments already in place. That's why 650 million people who are disabled, about 10% of the world's population, have a reason to celebrate. Although a lot of persons with disabilities are dependent on charity, persons with disabilities deserve to be treated with dignity.

What can this convention do for us? First, it will bring awareness. In many countries, disability is looked at as a curse, or something to be ashamed of. Disabled persons are seen as charity cases. The convention will ask all of us recognize the dignity of every person. It will ask us to recognize their rights to education, information, work, and social inclusion, among others. You can start by being aware. And that will affect your attitudes and your actions.

I consider myself temporarily enabled. As I get older, my hearing will go, and so will my eyesight. If I live long enough, I'll have mobility problems. So, if 10% of the world's population is disabled, the other 90% are temporarily enabled. We're all really the same.

My wish for today is inclusion. For us to consider how we can remove barriers to participation - including our own attitudes. For us not to be squeamish about persons with disabilities. Because they are also people (who so happen to be differently enabled).

No comments: