Monday, December 18, 2006

Day 6: The Best Medicine

Wish 6: Humor

Today, we'll talk about humor and tell jokes. That's it.

A really short joke: A blind carpenter picked up a hammer and saw.

Have you ever sat through a lecture led by a boring teacher? A monotone voice, and an uninteresting subject, not only puts you to sleep, but also changes your impression about the course you are taking. The solution: humor.

Man: Does your restaurant serve shrimp?
Waiter: Sir, we serve anybody.

I'm no expert, but I think hearing a joke releases certain chemicals in the brain that makes a person feel good. When people feel good, they do good things, like become generous. They have a positive outlook. They live longer. Yup, laughter is medicine.

John Kerry enters a bar. The bartender asks him, "Why the long face?"

As a speaker and facilitator, humor is a great way to teach. I tell jokes and run games in the courses I run. Then, the participants leave feeling good. They remember the concepts better because they were associated with a fun event.

I went to three dieticians and got three diet plans. So, I take nine meals a day.

If I want to tell jokes, I'm careful not to use insulting language. The only kind of insult I use is towards myself. I talk about my disappointing weight, but not anyone else's. Joking about myself reveals my fallability, and my audience can connect with me better.

A scientist cloned himself, only to discover that his copy was horribly foul-mouthed. In his anger he threw the clone out of his 10th floor apartment. He was accused of making an obscene clone fall.

Laughter is like food. It is universal. You can meet people of different cultures, and share a meal and a joke. Laughter is the repitition of a simple syllable. ha-ha-ha! ho-ho-ho! It has no meaning, but it is spoken around the world. Humor is good for world peace.

A rabbi, a minister and a priest enter a bar. The bartender asks them, "Is this a joke?"

My wish today is for people to have and maintain a good sense of humor.

Now, it's your turn. Send me your favorite jokes. I'll compile them for a final blog right after Christmas - to help lift your spirits.

Man: Doctor, doctor. I swallowed a bone!

Doctor: Are you choking?

Man: No, I'm serious!

No comments: