Sunday, December 21, 2008

Day 9: Happy to be Miserable

Wish 9: Stress and Relief

Now why would I be wishing for stress? Because I figure it's one wish that's certain to be fulfilled.

What I like is the relief after the stress. That relief wouldn't exist without the stress. Just like a sunrise wouldn't exist without the darkness before it. Or a painful muscle that is stressed by a massage feels better later.

I just finished writing a paper, and it was a long slog. Now that it's done, I want to celebrate. But there is more to be done. When I am stressed, I let out a Charlie Brown "aaarrrgh!" Or a Chewabacka "aaarrr!"

Homework added to the stresses of preparing for Christmas, and running a business that needs a Christmas rush to stay afloat. Imagine my additional stress today when the snow came down again, keeping customers away from my business. Ah, what a dismal day it was!

Woody Allen wrote: "There are two kinds of people in the world, the miserable and the horrible. The miserable are alive. The horrible are dead. Aren't you glad you're miserable?"

What we don't see, unless we sit down and think about it is that stress and relief are connected. One is not evil. Even the Lord gives a lot of stress to those He loves.

Today, Sunday, my pastor was not apologetic for revealing the stress the Lord gives him. Part of the church was flooded, and not even because of burst cold pipes. My brother just waited hours for his flight to leave because of snow. A Japanese restaurant owner just told me, "So few customers today - very bad." Suddenly I have fellow miserables.

So unless it is too much for your heart to take, stress isn't really that bad.

One thing that does not stress is the knowledge that a promise for the arrival of a Messiah is going to be fulfilled in 4 days. Imagine for thousands of years, entire lifetimes, people had suffered and waited in hope for the birth of the Christ. What a relief when Jesus arrived! That's why there is a celebration!

And when I get a chance to get out from under this mound of activities, I will think about that first Christmas Day. Sorry, guys, I'm too stressed to reflect on it right now! Relief will probably come on Christmas morning.

No comments: